Most cited source documents published in 1999 in the ResearchIndex database as of November 2001
This list only includes documents in the ResearchIndex database. Citations where one or more authors of the citing and cited articles match are not included. The data is automatically generated and may contain errors. The list is generated in batch mode and citation counts may differ from those currently in the ResearchIndex database, because the database is continuously updated.
All years 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001
1. RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications - Schulzrinne, Casner, Frederick.. (1999)
This memorandum is a revision of RFC 1889 in preparation for advancement from Proposed Standard
2. Mobile Ambients - Cardelli, Gordon (1999)
We introduce a calculus describing the movement of processes and devices, including
3. Promoting the Use of End-to-End Congestion Control in the Internet - Floyd, Fall (1999)
This paper considers the potentially negative impacts of an increasing
4. Web Caching and Zipf-like Distributions: Evidence and Implications - Breslau, Cao, Fan, Phillips, Shenker (1999)
This paper addresses two unresolved issues about web
caching. The first issue is whether web requests from a...
5. Unification theory - Baader, Snyder (1999)
ion (=) abst ):
fe[s]g [ P ; C; S =) fe[x]g [ P ; fx
= sg [ C; S
if x is a fresh variable.
6. The TPTP Problem Library - Christian B. Suttner, Geoff Sutcliffe (1999)
This report provides a detailed description of the TPTP Problem Library for automated
7. A Proposal to add Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP - Ramakrishnan, Floyd (1999)
This note describes a proposed addition of ECN (Explicit Congestion
Notification) to IP. TCP is currently the...
8. Branching Processes - Athreya, Vidyashankar (1999)
In this survey we give a concise account of the theory of branching processes. We describe the branching...
9. An Empirical Comparison of Voting Classification Algorithms: Bagging, .. - Bauer, Kohavi (1999)
Methods for voting classification algorithms, such as Bagging and AdaBoost, have been
shown to be very...
10. Face Recognition by Elastic Bunch Graph Matching - Wiskott, Fellous, Krüger, von der.. (1999)
We present a system for recognizing human faces from single images out of a large database containing
11. RAP: An End-to-end Rate-based Congestion Control Mechanism for.. - Reza Rejaie (1999)
End-to-end congestion control mechanisms have been critical to the robustness and stability of the Internet....
12. Tools for Inventing Organizations: Toward a Handbook of.. - Malone, Crowston, al. (1999)
This paper reports on the first five years of work
in a project to address these problems by (1) developing...
13. Decision-Theoretic Planning: Structural Assumptions and Computational .. - Boutilier, Dean, al. (1999)
Planning under uncertaintyisacentral problem in the study of automated sequential
decision making, and has...
14. An Evaluation of Statistical Approaches to Text Categorization - Yang (1999)
This paper focuses on a comparative evaluation of a wide-range of text categorization methods, including...
15. Resource containers: A new facility for resource management in server .. - Banga, Druschel, Mogul (1999)
General-purpose operating systems provide inadequate
support for resource management in large-scale
16. Improved Boosting Algorithms Using Confidence-rated Predictions - Schapire, Singer (1999)
We describe several improvements to Freund and Schapire's AdaBoost boosting algorithm, particularly
17. Guillotine Subdivisions Approximate Polygonal Subdivisions: A Simple.. - Mitchell (1999)
F3.846e+05> We show that any polygonal subdivision in the plane can be converted into...
18. On Power-Law Relationships of the Internet Topology - Faloutsos, Faloutsos, Faloutsos (1999)
Despite the apparent randomness of the Internet, we discover
some surprisingly simple power-laws of the...
19. Lectures on 0/1-Polytopes - Ziegler (1999)
These lectures on the combinatorics and geometry of 0=1-polytopes are meant as
an introduction and...
20. NeTra: A toolbox for navigating large image databases - Ma, Manjunath (1999)
We present here an implementation of NeTra, a
prototype image retrieval system that uses color, texture,...
21. Planning Under Uncertainty: Structural Assumptions and Computational.. - Boutilier, Dean, Hanks (1999)
The problem of planning under uncertainty has been addressed by researchers
in many different fields,...
22. The FERET Evaluation Methodology for Face-Recognition Algorithms - Phillips, Moon, Rizvi, Rauss (1999)
Two of the most critical requirements in support of producing reliable face-recognition
systems are a large...
23. Providing Guaranteed Services Without Per Flow Management - Ion Stoica (1999)
Previous proposals for providing guaranteed services require routers to manage per flow states
24. A Unifying Review of Linear Gaussian Models - Roweis, Ghahramani (1999)
this article we unify many of the disparate observations made by previous authors (Rubin & Thayer, 1982;...
25. IP Multicast Channels: EXPRESS Support for Large-scale Single-source.. - Holbrook, Cheriton (1999)
In the IP multicast model, a set of hosts can be aggregated
into a group of hosts with one address, to which...
26. Symbolic Model Checking without BDDs - Armin Biere (1999)
Symbolic Model Checking [3, 14] has proven to be a powerful technique for the verification of
27. Robust Threshold DSS Signatures - Gennaro, Jarecki, Krawczyk, Rabin (1999)
We present threshold DSS (Digital Signature Standard) signatures where the power to sign
is shared by n...
28. Approximate Nearest Neighbors: Towards Removing the Curse of.. - Indyk, Motwani (1999)
The nearest neighbor problem is the following: Given a set of n points P = fp 1 ; : : : ; png in
29. An Algorithm for Optimal Winner Determination in Combinatorial.. - Sandholm (1999)
Combinatorial auctions, i.e. auctions where bidders can bid on combinations
of items, tend to lead to more...
30. Independent Factor Analysis - Attias (1999)
We introduce the independent factor analysis (IFA) method for recovering independent hidden sources
31. Learning Information Extraction Rules for Semi-structured and Free.. - Soderland (1999)
A wealth of on-line text information can be made available to automatic processing
32. RTP Profile for Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control - Schulzrinne, Casner (1999)
This memorandum is a revision of RFC 1890 in preparation for advancement from Proposed Standard
33. Good Error-Correcting Codes based on Very Sparse Matrices - MacKay (1999)
We study two families of error-correcting codes defined in terms of very sparse matrices.
34. The MultiSpace: an Evolutionary Platform for Infrastructural Services - Gribble, Welsh, Brewer, Culler (1999)
This paper presents the architecture for a Base, a clustered environment for building and executing highly...
35. Degrees of Separation: Multi-Dimensional Separation of Concerns - Peri Tarr Harold (1999)
Done well, separation of concerns can provide many software
engineering benefits, including reduced...
36. A feature-based algorithm for detecting and classifying production.. - Zabih, Miller, Mai (1999)
We describe a new approach to the detection and
classification of production effects in video sequences....
37. Semidefinite Programming in Combinatorial Optimization - Goemans, Rendl (1999)
This chapter surveys the use of semidefinite programming in combinatorial optimization.
It was written as...
38. From Semistructured Data to XML: Migrating the Lore Data Model and.. - Goldman, McHugh, Widom (1999)
This paper describes our experiences migrating
the Lore database management system for semistructured data...
39. Changes in Web Client Access Patterns - Characteristics and Caching.. - Barford, Bestavros, Bradley, Crovella (1999)
Understanding the nature of the workloads and system demands created by users of the World Wide Web is...
40. Geometric Range Searching and Its Relatives - Agarwal, Erickson (1999)
HW Cl, Cl2 CS
Pankaj K. Agarwal and Jeff Erickson
Geometric Range Searching and Its...
41. Dependent Types in Practical Programming - Hongwei Xi (1999)
Programming is a notoriously error-prone process, and a great deal of evidence in
practice has demonstrated...
42. An Integrated Congestion Management Architecture for Internet Hosts - Balakrishnan, Rahul, Seshan (1999)
This paper presents a novel framework for managing network
congestion from an end-to-end perspective. Our...
43. Performance of Web Proxy Caching in Heterogeneous Bandwidth.. - Anja Feldmann (1999)
Much work on the performance of Web proxy caching has
focused on high-level metrics such as hit rates, but...
44. Escape Analysis for Java - Jong-Deok Choi Manish (1999)
This paper presents a simple and efficient data flow algorithm
for escape analysis of objects in Java...
45. A Unifying Information-theoretic Framework for Independent Component.. - Lee, Girolami, Bell, Sejnowski (1999)
We show that different theories recently proposed for Independent Component Analysis
(ICA) lead to the same...
46. An Architecture for a Secure Service Discovery Service - Czerwinski, Zhao, Hodes, Joseph, Katz (1999)
The widespread deployment of inexpensive communications
technology, computational resources in the
47. Inference of Multicast Routing Trees and Bottleneck Bandwidths using.. - Sylvia Ratnasamy (1999)
The efficacy of end-to-end multicast transport protocols depends
critically upon their ability to scale...
48. Capacity of a Mobile Multiple-Antenna Communication Link in Rayleigh.. - Marzetta, HOCHWALD (1999)
We analyze a mobile wireless link comprising M transmitter and N receiver antennas operating in a Rayleigh...
49. The design and implementation of an intentional naming system - William Adjie-Winoto Elliot (1999)
This paper presents the design and implementation of the
Intentional Naming System (INS), a resource...
50. A Scalable Web Cache Consistency Architecture - Haobo Yu Usc (1999)
The rapid increase in web usage has led to dramatically
increased loads on the network infrastructure and on...
51. SRED: Stabilized RED - Teunis Ott Lakshman (1999)
This paper describes a mechanism we call "SRED" (Stabilized Random
Early Drop). Like RED (Random Early...
52. Hierarchical Reinforcement Learning with the MAXQ Value Function.. - Thomas G. Dietterich (1999)
This paper presents a new approach to hierarchical reinforcement learning based on decomposing
53. Third Order Matching is Decidable - Dowek (1999)
The higher order matching problem is the problem of determining whether a term is an instance
of another in...
54. Dissociations Between Argument Structure And Grammatical Relations - Manning, Sag (1999)
This paper is based on part of the contents of a paper delivered at the Tubingen HPSG workshop in June 1995,...
55. A Review of Current Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless.. - Royer, al. (1999)
An ad hoc mobile network is a collection of mobile nodes that are dynamically and arbitrarily located in such...
56. An Architecture for a Global Internet Host Distance Estimation Service - Francis, Jamin, Paxson, Zhang.. (1999)
There is an increasing need for Internet hosts to be
able to quickly and efficiently learn the distance,
57. Next Century Challenges: Scalable Coordination in Sensor Networks - Estrin, Govindan, Heidemann, Kumar (1999)
Networked sensors---those that coordinate amongst themselves
to achieve a larger sensing task---will...
58. A Review of Current Routing Protocols for Ad-Hoc Mobile Wireless.. - Royer, Toh (1999)
An ad-hoc mobile network is a collection of mobile nodes that are dynamically and arbitrarily
59. Unifying SAT-based and Graph-based Planning - Kautz, Selman (1999)
The Blackbox planning system unifies the planning
as satisfiability framework (Kautz and Selman
60. A Scalable System for Consistently Caching Dynamic Web Data - Jim Challenger Arun (1999)
This paper presents a new approach for consistently caching
dynamic Web data in order to improve performance....
61. Planning as Heuristic Search: New Results - Blai Bonet And (1999)
In the recent AIPS98 Planning Competition, the hsp planner,
based on a forward state search and a...
62. Evolutionary Algorithms for Multiobjective Optimization: Methods and.. - Zitzler (1999)
Many real-world problems involve two types of problem difficulty: i) multiple,
conflicting objectives and ii)...
63. Web Prefetching Between Low-Bandwidth Clients and Proxies: Potential.. - Li Fan (1999)
The majority of the Internet population access the
World Wide Web via dial-up modem connections.
64. The Jini Architecture for Network-Centric Computing - Waldo (1999)
use and adapt than current systems.
Jini allows anything with a processor,
some memory, and a network...
65. Hybrid Probabilistic Programs - Dekhtyar, Subrahmanian (1999)
The precise probability of a compound event (e.g. e 1 e 2 ; e 1 e 2 ) depends upon
the known relationships...
66. Data Preparation for Mining World Wide Web Browsing Patterns - Cooley, Mobasher, Srivastava (1999)
The World Wide Web (WWW) continues to grow at an astounding
rate in both the sheer volume
67. A re-examination of text categorization methods - Yang, Liu (1999)
This paper reports a controlled study with statistical significance tests on five text categorization...
68. A Core Calculus of Dependency - Abadi, Banerjee, Heintze, Riecke (1999)
Notions of program dependency arise in many settings: security,
partial evaluation, program slicing, and...
69. Multiple Inheritance for C++ - Stroustrup (1999)
Multiple Inheritance is the ability of a class to have more than one base class (super
class). In a language...
70. The Ant Colony Optimization Meta-Heuristic - Dorigo, Di Caro (1999)
Ant algorithms are multi-agent systems in which the behavior of each single agent, called...
71. A Model Based TCP-Friendly Rate Control Protocol - Padhye, Kurose, Towsley, Koodli (1999)
As networked multimedia applications become widespread, it becomes increasingly important to ensure that...
72. Bibliography: R.J. Gibbens - Gibbens (1999)
4> Proceedings of IEEE/LEOS Summer Topical
Meeting on `Broadband Optical Networks and Technologies: an...
73. Recent Advances in AI Planning - Weld (1999)
The past #veyears have seen dramatic advances in planning algorithms,
with an emphasis on propositional...
74. Behavior-based Formation Control for Multi-robot Teams - Balch, Arkin (1999)
New reactive behaviors that implement formations
in multi-robot teams are presented and evaluated.
75. Compositional Pointer and Escape Analysis for Java Programs - And (1999)
flow sensitive analysis, stack allocation, synchronization elimination
76. Trust and Partial Typing in Open Systems of Mobile Agents (Extended.. - Riely, Hennessy (1999)
James Riely # Matthew Hennessy
We present a partially-typed semantics for Dp, a distributed
77. Fundamental Observations on Multicast Congestion Control in the.. - Jamaloddin Golestani Krishan (1999)
We study congestion control for one-to-many multicast applications in the Internet
and establish a three-way...
78. Model Checking Java Programs Using Java PathFinder - Havelund, Pressburger (1999)
This paper describes a translator called Java
PathFinder from Java to Promela, the "programming
79. Stable models and an alternative logic programming paradigm - Marek, Truszczynski (1999)
In this paper we reexamine the place and role of stable model semantics in logic programming
and contrast it...
80. Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithms: A Comparative Case Study and.. - Zitzler, Thiele (1999)
Evolutionary algorithms (EAs) are often wellsuited
for optimization problems involving several, often...
81. Improving Cache Performance in Dynamic Applications through Data and.. - Chen Ding (1999)
With the rapid improvement of processor speed, performance
of the memory hierarchy has become the principal...
82. Approximability And Nonapproximability Results For Minimizing Total.. - Kellerer, Tautenhahn, Woeginger (1999)
F3.81e+05> We consider the problem of scheduling n jobs that are released over time...
83. Model Checking in CLP - Delzanno, Podelski (1999)
We show that Constraint Logic Programming (CLP) can
serve as a conceptual basis and as a practical...
84. The Visual Analysis of Human Movement: A Survey - Gavrila (1999)
This paper surveys the work on visual analysis of gestures and
whole-body movement. These are discussed...
85. Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance - Castro, Liskov (1999)
This paper describes a new replication algorithm that is able
to tolerate Byzantine faults. We believe that...
86. Clustering Gene Expression Patterns - Ron (1999)
Recent advances in biotechnology allow researchers to measure expression levels for thousands of genes...
87. Practical Experience with an Application Extractor for Java - Frank Tip Chris (1999)
Java programs are routinely transmitted over low-bandwidth
network connections as compressed class file...
88. Rewriting Aggregate Queries Using Views - Cohen, Nutt, Serebrenik (1999)
Weinvestigate the problem of rewriting queries with aggregate
operators using views that mayormay not contain...
89. Type-Safe Linking and Modular Assembly Language - Glew, Morrisett (1999)
Linking is a low-level task that is usually vaguely specified,
if at all, by language definitions. However,...
90. The Open Agent Architecture: A Framework for Building Distributed.. - Martin, Cheyer, Moran (1999)
The Open Agent Architecture #OAA#, developed and used for several years at SRI
International, makes it...
91. Computationally Private Information Retrieval with Polylogarithmic.. - Cachin, Micali, Stadler (1999)
We present a single-database computationally private information retrieval scheme with polylogarithmic...
92. A Methodology for Agent-Oriented Analysis and Design - Wooldridge, Jennings, Kinny (1999)
This paper presents a methodology for agent-oriented analysis and design. The methodology is general, in that...
93. Optimized Regional Caching for On-Demand Data Delivery - Derek Eager (1999)
Systems for on-demand delivery of large, widely-shared data can use several techniques to improve...
94. Measuring Bandwidth - Lai, Baker (1999)
Accurate network bandwidth measurement is important
to a variety of network applications. Unfortunately,...
95. Primal-Dual Approximation Algorithms for Metric Facility Location and .. - Jain, Vazirani (1999)
We present approximation algorithms for the metric uncapacitated facility location problem
and the metric...
96. CEDAR: a Core-Extraction Distributed Ad hoc Routing algorithm - Sivakumar, Sinha, Bharghavan (1999)
In this paper, we present CEDAR, a Core-Extraction Distributed
Ad hoc Routing algorithm for QoS routing in ad...
97. Mobility Types for Mobile Ambients - Luca Cardelli (1999)
An ambient is a named cluster of processes and subambients, which
moves as a group. The untyped ambient...
98. The LDL System Prototype - Chimenti, Gamboa, Krishnamurthy.. (1999)
system provides a declarative logic-based language and
integrates relational database and logic...
99. Improved Combinatorial Algorithms for the Facility Location and.. - Charikar, Guha (1999)
We present improved combinatorial approximation algorithms for the uncapacitated facility
100. Focused crawling: a new approach to topic-specific Web resource.. - Chakrabarti, van den Berg, Dom (1999)
The rapid growth of the World-Wide Web poses unprecedented scaling challenges for general-purpose crawlers...