Network Routing - The Quiz
(This is work in progress: material and clarifications will be added.
Make sure you read befre the quiz)
DATE: Feb 26, during class.
You can have a 2 page (4 sides) of personal notes.
You should be aware of the material covered in class.
My ppt's can help in that.
from kurose book:
Chapters 1 : Introduction
Chapter 4: Routing
From our BGP book:
All of it with focus on things we cover in the class.
You should understand basic concepts of multicasting and
read the following site on the Steiner tree
(Also the related part from the text book).
You should also be famliar with Ad hoc routing
NEW: you should have studied ALL the papers that
we will have presented in class
by then. Unfortunately, this is
a necessary measure to get you to read the papers.
You should also read the following papers:
- "Scalable Ad Hoc Routing: The Case for Dynamic Addressing "
J. Eriksson, M. Faloutsos, S. V. Krishnamurthy
IEEE INFOCOM 2004, Hong Kong, 2004.
- Elizabeth M. Royer and C.-K. Toh.
"A Review of Current Routing Protocols for Ad-Hoc Mobile Wireless
IEEE Personal Communications Magazine , April 1999, pp.
You should know how DSR and AODV work.
Samples of questions you should know:
- How does Internet routing manage to scale?
- How do routers look up and determine what to do with a packet?
- Compare proactive and reactive routing (in the DART paper see also
comparison with )
- What is source routing and what are its pros and cons?
AD HOC ROUTING
- How does dynamic addressing help the scalability in DART?
- Could I have a reactive routing scheme with dynamic addressing (like
How would it work, would it make sense?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of DSR vs DSDV?
- How does route caching affect routing in DSR/AODV? Explain.
- What is BGP?
- How do I do load balance traffic (traffic engineering) in BGP?
- How can I use Local Preference and MED to balance traffic? In which
can I use each, are there any limitations?
- Given an example, network, prefixes and such, show how traffic will
- What are the main problems that BGP faces right now?
- What is multicasting and what diferent challenges does it pose on
- Why do I need multicast? Can't I just do multiple unicasts?
- How does the KMB multicast algorithm work?
- Is the Greedy always better than KMB? Think of a counter example
- Provide a sketch for the KMB proof for the worst case performance of
KMB (T < 2 OPT)?
To be continued...